Wednesday, September 4, 2013

by heart





depictive study: plein air
evocative study: in studio

When I was young girl I would practice my flute; musical scales and simple melodies. 
Over and over again, I would attempt to make it perfect, almost. 
I would hopefully practice enough to be ready for the teacher the following week.

Once I practiced enough, I could tell myself, ’I know it by heart.’ No longer was it a struggle, no longer did I have to look at the music in the book; I simply played.

As I study the depictive and challenge the evocative in drawing, today, I investigated the strength of knowing it by heart. If the depictive process is meaningful and memorable, ‘I know it by heart’, then I can improvise to the evocative, 
creating new notes and melodies that are then felt in the space described.

Take a look at the evolution of the work. Let me know what you think.
Importantly, you must do the work; practice enough to be ready for the teacher the following week.



improvisation

No comments: